The ISO 20121 Implementer certifications are professional certifications for specialists needing to implement an Event Sustainability Management System (ESMS) and, in case of the ISO 20121 Lead Implementer Certification, needing to manage an implementation project.
ISO 20121:2012 – Event sustainability management systems — Requirements with guidance for use, specifies requirements for an event sustainability management system for any type of event or event-related activity, and provides guidance on conforming to those requirements. ISO 20121:2012 has been designed to address the management of improved sustainability throughout the entire event management cycle.
Various professions may apply for this certification:
- Members of the event industry supply chain including organizers, event managers, stand builders, caterers and logistics suppliers
- Individuals involved in logistics in an organization
- Event, PR or communications managers who want to implement the ISO 20121 or who work with organizations that implement this standard.
- Managers working in the organization of the events or who implement the sustainable events or policies for companies
The requirements for “Implementer” certifications are:
|Credential||Exam||Professional experience||SEMS project experience||Other requirements|
|ISO 20121 Provisional Implementer||PECB Certified ISO 20121 Lead Implementer exam or equivalent||None||None||Signing the PECB code of ethics|
|ISO 20121 Implementer||PECB Certified ISO 20121 Lead Implementer exam or equivalent||Two years: One year of work experience in related field||Project activities totaling 200 hours||Signing the PECB code of ethics|
|ISO 20121 Lead Implementer||PECB Certified ISO 20121 Lead Implementer exam or equivalent||Five years: Two years of work experience in related field||Project activities totaling 300 hours||Signing the PECB code of ethics|
If an applicant doesn’t have all requirements to apply for the credentials of ISO 20121 Lead Implementer he/she may apply for the credentials of ISO 20121 Implementer or ISO 20121 Provisional Implementer.
For certification purposes, the following implementation types constitute valid implementation experience:
- Internal implementation
- External/consulting implementation
- Partial implementation
To be considered valid, these implementation activities should follow best implementation practices and include most of the following activities:
- Drafting an ESMS implementation business case
- Managing an ESMS implementation project
- Implementing event sustainability controls
- Managing event sustainability controls
- Implementing metrics
- Implementing corrective or preventive action
- Performing a management review
- Performing a risk assessment
- Managing incidents
- Managing an event sustainability team
Informations and registration:
Alexandra Niculae, Training Director ENVISO